Thursday, December 2, 2010

Omoluabi: Self Actualization and Communal Responsibility - Week #5

This week’s presenter was Segun Gbadegesin. He spoke on the importance of education and respect in the African culture. To enhance the importance of education he picked two words that both have 2 syllables then he said the words and then he had the beat of it played on the djembe drum. I found this fascinating because I enjoy listening to African drums while I African dance so this reminded me of dance. Also I like to I have some prior knowledge if it. One of the stories he told us about was the story of Iwa. The moral of the story is to treat women with respect and don’t take things for granted.  
I think this is a great moral not only because I’m a young woman and I like to be treated with respect, but because it’ll help you get far in life. If you are respect versus being liked then you will reach your goals and have people who believe in you that also support you. The principles of Ma’at were also addressed and I believe they prepare you for success. The principles are truth, justice, order, balance and harmony. If some of these principles aren’t met then I don’t believe a person would be living a successful life. For example, life without truth is just filled with lies and deceit. If there is no order or balance in one’s life when they are not steady in a path or do not know where there are going. Some people like living on the edge but too much edge is a unhealthy way of living.   

Jasmine Westbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment