Thursday, December 2, 2010

Self Evaluation

I know that the purpose of freshmen seminar was to work on our research skills and to make us more acquainted with our ancestry and African roots. I understood the purpose of the class but I don’t think the goals that were set were made. In other schools my friends had to do more projects so the class was hands on so they were forced to learn then we were. I understand it was just a 1 credit class but I think raising it to 3 credits and requiring more work would be more beneficial to us as students. We would actually take interest in it and learn about our roots instead if writing up a quick synopsis of a 45 lecture. A lot of the freshmen, including me, think that this class was pointless. I say this with the upmost respect but we did not learn much. The African Burial Ground trip was where I learned the most and had the most fun because it was hands on and we weren’t stuck in a auditorium being lectured to.
My performance in this class was not the best but I put everything last because it was only worth 1 credit and the blogs were tedious. I think I could have posted the blogs on time but I let them slip but now they are all getting caught up. Next year I think freshmen seminar should be more credits so students would take it seriously and so they would obtain information by doing more work than we had to do.

Jasmine Westbrook

No comments:

Post a Comment