Thursday, October 21, 2010

Dr. Segun Gbadegesin's Lecture (Week 5) by Saida Yusuf

For this weeks lecture, Dr. Segun Gbadegesin spoke to us about communal responsibility and self actualization. Literally, I am aware of the importance that the two terms hold in the dictionary. Communal responsibility being the duties one holds to their communities, and self actualization being aware of ones’ self, which is always important. Dr. Gbadegesin taught us about the goddess of existence, Iwa, and her importance in the African community, tying education into the mix; he also quoted Nwalimu Julius Nyerere stating “the purpose of education is to transmit from one generation to the next.” This brought a family reference to the air when I thought of what my father always tells me how he came to this country to provide for us, his children, and teaches us things that we may not learn in our lifetime because he is our father. Things specifically told to us so we can pass it on to our children. We should take note of this important quote in our lifetime, reiterating how important our ancestors, God, faith, and education are. All in all Dr. Gbadegesin’s lecture made things evident to me that I wouldn’t have thought of had I not attended this weeks beneficial seminar.

No comments:

Post a Comment